Terence Ray Solicitors is authorised and regulated by Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA No: 562072 

Copyright © 2014 Terence Ray Solicitors. All rights reserved

European Economic Area (EEA) Nationals and their Families


Foreign Nationals are eligible to apply for Residence Card if they are living in the UK with a family member who is a European Economic Area (EEA) citizen.

The following countries are part of the European Economic Area:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Check Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and  United Kingdom. Although Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU), their citizens have the same rights as EU Citizens to enter, live and work in the UK.

Croatia is now also a Member of the EEA, though there are separate conditions to nationals of Croatia, such as need to apply for a registration certificate to be allowed to work in the UK as employed (Purple registration certificate), self- employed (Yellow registration certificate), studying (Yellow registration certificate) or able to support themselves to stay in the UK for longer than 3 months. Family members of Croatian nationals can also work in the UK if they meet eligibility criteria.

Retained Right of Residence

Family members of EEA citizens can apply under this category if they are related to the EEA citizen as their spouse or civil partner, child or their spouse or civil partner's child, and less than 21 years old, unmarried partner and can demonstrate that they are in a lasting relationship with the EEA national and 'dependent' family (e.g. parents or grandparents, children over 21 years old and extended family members such as brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews and nieces). Dependent family  of am EEA family member must show that they are financially dependent on them or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for applicant.

Please note that the rules apply differently to family members of students.

The Services We Offer


We advise and assist applicants with all EEA related matters including the following:  

- Residents Permits: Registration Certificates for EEA nationals confirming the right to reside in the UK under European  Community Law and Residence Cards applications for non- EEA nationals, who are family members of EEA Nationals exercising EEA Treaty rights in the UK


- Worker Registration Scheme for Accession ‘A8’ members from the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia and Family Member Residence stamp for non EEA national dependents required to register under the Scheme 

- Family Permit applications, i.e. applications from non EEA nationals applying from abroad

- Resident applications, i.e. Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK after exercising EEA Treaty rights for 5 years

- Appeals against refusals of any of the above; we also assist and advise on the appeal process should there be a negative decision on any application under EEA Treaty 



If you are not sure and require more information or assistance to prepare and process your application, do not hesitate to contact us for an initial free assessment.